Facts about exposing your skin to sun Sunlight contains three types of ultraviolet rays: UVA, UVB, and UVC:
1. UVA causes the skin to age and wrinkle and it contributes to skin cancer, such as melanoma. They pass effortlessly through the ozone layer and they make up the majority of our sun exposure.
2. UVB rays on the other hand, are also dangerous, Sunburns and cataracts are caused by these types of rays and it can also effect the immune system. This also causes melanoma.
3. UVC rays are the most dangerous, fortunately, these rays are blocked by the ozone layer and does not reach the earth.
Photo courtesy of launchverbatim.weebly.com
Sunblock lotion or sunscreen are readily available in the department store and choosing the right one may be difficult.
Here is a guide in choosing your sunscreen
1. Look for SPF numbers on the labels of sunscreens. Ideally, SPF of 30 or higher to prevent sunburn
2. Choose a sunscreen that protects against UVA and UVB rays ( check the label )
3. Sunscreen sprays are convenient but should be used with caution. When inhaled, this can irritate the lungs. Some sprays also are flammable so again, check the labels specially when travelling via plane since sprays are not allowed on board.
4. Look for Hypoallergenic Sunscreen, don’t use sunscreen that contains PABA, as these can cause allergies.
5. Choose a variant with Titanium oxide as this prevents premature skin aging.
6. Look for a water resistant variant when swimming.
· Apply sunscreen before before going out in the sun. preferably about 15 to 30 minutes prior
· Apply sunscreen generously — dermatologists recommend to cover all the exposed areas of the body.
· Reapply often, about every 2 hours or less specially if sweating or swimming.
· Ideal shelf life after opening is 1 year. If you use it correctly, you should be able to finish it before 1 year.
Here in the Philippines, you can find Dermplus Moisturizing Sunblock in leading department store nationwide. It has UV ray-protective product that has UVA and UVB filters plus titanium dioxide to prevent skin damage and aging. It is ideal for everyday use and suited even for people with sensitive skin. It is also packed with nourishing ingredients such as seaweed extract to heal skin damage and aloe vera extract to soothe and cool the skin. Dermplus Moisturizing Sunblock is *PABA Free and most of all, water resistant, so your skin is shielded with utmost protection.
Incidentally, Dermplus is having an activations this weekend at SM Megamall bldg. A in front of McDonald’s. Visit them there during mall hours
Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dermplus-Moisturizing-Sunblock