According to a World Economic Forum report, creativity is one of the top three skills individuals will need to be successful in the new, digital world. Creative thinking helps one find new ways of solving problems by having an open and flexible mindset.
Researchers have also found that it takes at least 21 days to cultivate a habit. So, if you’re game to make creativity a habit, let us help you with these 21 ideas – all you need is a Windows device to get started!
1. Start with the end in mind by having a creative checklist on OneNote – which can be synced easily across devices.
2. Doodle! Long thought to be a bad habit, doodling can actually help unlock one’s creative potential. Pick up a Pen today and start doodling on Windows Ink’s Sketchpad, a whitespace for your ideas and creations . You may be surprised at what you can create.
4. Mixed reality is undoubtedly the next step in the evolution of human computing, blending virtual and physical worlds into one immersive whole. With Mixed Reality Viewer (available on Windows Store), you can take any 3D objects into the real world with the device’s camera.
5. Take your creativity to the limit and create a 3D kingdom from scratch. With your friend, co-create buildings, machines and more in Minecraft Realm. Take your Realm with you across multiple devices including Windows 10 PC, Xbox, VR and even mobile devices – so your creativity is not limited by the devices you have.
6. Exchange ideas better with a direct expression of your thoughts. Windows 10 Fall Creators Update makes it easier to let others know how you truly feel with quicker access to emojis. Hit the Windows + . (period) or Windows + ; (semicolon) shortcut to bring up the new Emoji keyboard .
7. What is the most creative color? Orange, it seems, as it blends the energy of red and the happiness of yellow.
So why not change your Windows theme color to creative orange to see if it stirs up any inspiration? Just head over to Windows Settings > Personalization > Themes.
9. There is no doubt that play is essential for creativity, which is why we’ve built Xbox capabilities within Windows 10 so that you can toggle between work and play easily. For those who are seeking pointers from fellow gamers, enjoy the flexibility to broadcast with Mixer, the easiest and most interactive way to stream your gameplay on Xbox One and Windows 10.
10. With the Windows Fall Creators Update, Game Mode is now more powerful than ever before. With just a single tap, the feature unleashes your PC’s full processing power to make your gameplay as smooth as possible.
11. It might sound counterintuitive, but a key aspect process that feeds creativity is drilling into repetitive tasks. After all, you can only break the rules in a meaningful way after you’re truly familiar with them. Take a shot at this with Cuphead, a classic run and gun action game exclusively available for Windows and Xbox, that will test the limits of your patience as you repeat level after level to figure out your enemy’s attack patterns and weaknesses.
12. Bend your minds with a new reality in town. With the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, we are making it easier for you to immerse in a new reality with Windows Mixed Reality headset*. These are easy to setup, affordable and brings a new realm of experiences to broaden your creative perspectives.
13. Explore new creative processes! The Six Thinking Hats, for example, is a simple and effective parallel thinking process that helps one be more productive, focused, and mindfully involved. Try creating this structure on your Sticky Notes for Windows 10 devices, so that it serves as a constant reminder to your creativity journey.
14. Fun fact: An average person sits between 7 – 15 hours per day. Perhaps it’s time to take a walk and bring your Windows device outdoors, and open your eyes to new creative possibilities by taking pictures of new scenes to place 3D visuals in within Paint 3D.
16. When it comes to developing a creative and focused mind, the pen is mightier than the keyboard. Research has found that people who write more are often better at grasping new concepts, and can stay in focus better. Start by taking notes with a digital pen instead of your keyboard on OneNote today.
17. Try this exercise to flex your mind on Sketchpad:
a. On a blank piece of canvas, draw 30 circles
b. In 3 minutes, turn as many of these circles into recognizable objects, such as a smiley face, a soccer ball, a button or other round items
19. Review your creative journey easily with Windows 10 Timeline*, which will be available on a later date. Rewind and restore open programs and documents, allowing you to hop back to where you left off without breaking your creative flow.
20. Having a proper rest is important to keep your creative juices flowing. Researchers have noted that an optimal sleep period is between 7 – 9 hours per day for adults. However, if you’re on a creative streak and don’t want to go to bed just yet, turn on the Night Light to reduce the amount of blue light flashing out of your PC. This will help you get a better night’s sleep once you log off and hit the pillows.
21. While you embark on your creativity journey with Windows 10, it is equally important to safeguard your digital safety. Windows Defender gets better with the Fall Creators Update with behind-the-scenes defenses against newer threats that can derail your creativity processes.
Remember to have this feature switched on by going to Settings > Update & security > Windows Defender and turn on the toggle switch for real-time protection.
To find out more about the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update and the slew of new, creative experiences it will bring, visit www.microsoft.com/windows