My parents would usually cook it mixed with egg drop and often times alternate it with cocoa, in fact, I didn’t know then that champorado is originally made out of rice.
During that period, the country was experiencing a rice shortage and we were made to eat oatmeal more often than usual. We were explained that Oats are a good source of fiber and we wouldn’t have a hard time moving our bowel. We all know that constipation is the one of the dreaded condition a kid can have.
For adults, as I was briefed further, Oats can lower cholesterol and prevents heart disease which explains why my grandparents were eating it a lot.
As I search through the web, I found out several other benefits oatmeal can give:
· Oatmeal contains a unique fiber called beta-glucan which improves our immune system and hastens removal of infection.
· Since Oats are high in fiber, it slows down the conversion of whole food to simple sugars, thus, eating oats can reduce the risk of having Diabetes.
· Oats contains plant Lignan called enterolactone which as per studies, can protect against breast cancer.
Interestingly, Oats as it turned out is not only relegated to breakfast and snack as GV Michel, a new player in the distribution of oatmeal here in the Philippines introduces to us some dishes that uses oatmeal as main ingredient. Nor does it only give us health benefit but it will greatly benefit our wallet as well since oatmeal cost much less than rice.
Moreover, GV Michel has several variants which consumers can choose from:
GV Michel Oatmeal of Australia Premium Rolled Oats. These type of oats have bigger flakes and has a chewy texture.
GV Michel Oatmeal of Australia Quick Cooking Oats. These have a smaller flakes than the rolled oats And are mostly used in baking
GV Michel Oatmeal of Australia Instant Oats (Regular and Organic) for the busy individual who’s always on the go.
GV Michel OatsCaldo
1 cup GV Michel rolled oats
Chicken breast fillet, boiled and shredded
2 cups water or chicken stock
1 small white onion, chopped
2 tbsp garlic chopped
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tbsp fish sauce
½ teaspoon salt
Spring onions, chopped
Hardboiled eggs, sliced
Chicharon ( optional )
1. Saute onion and garlic in a pan until both are sweated out, add Shredded Chicken.
2. Add GV Michel rolled oats and liquid to boil then simmer.
3. Add Fish sauce, salt and pepper and wait for mixture to thicken
4. Serve hot with desired toppings
1 ½ cup GV Michel quick cooking Oats
½ cup Chopped ham or Bacon
1 ½ cup Milk
2 tablespoons Butter
½ tsp Salt
Chopped Green Onions
1 tsp Ground Pepper
1. In a saucepan boil the following the milk, butter, salt and oatmeal then remove and let it cool for 5 minutes.
2. Mix in all the remaining ingredients, and let stand for a further 20 minutes.
3. Form the mixture according to desired shape, roll over flour, dip in beaten egg and coat with breadcrumbs
4. Deep fry and serve.
GV Michel is distributed in the Philippines by Dong-A Pharma Phils., Inc. (DPPI) headed by its President, Mr. Amen Say. DDPI is the company behind Bacchus Energy Drink, and Queen bakery products.